Kuih or kueh koci is a steamed (dumpling) pyramid of glutinuous rice flour filled with fresh grated coconut and gula melaka. This kueh is normally served during Ramadan.
How to make Kueh Koci:
- 20-25 rounds banana leaves of 7-8 in. (18-20.5cm) diameter (scalded & dried)
- 3 Tbs. castor sugar
- 5 Tbs. gula melaka (finely chopped)
- 3 Tbs. water
- 1 pandan leaf (tied into a knod)
- 9 oz. (280g) grated white coconut
- 1 lb. (500g.) pulut flour
- 9 oz. (280g.) grated coconut (squeeze for santan enough to mix into a soft dough)
- Put castor sugar, gula melaka, water and pandan leaf into a small pan.
- Cook till sugar is dissolved. Add grated coconut and mix well. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Mix flour and santan into smooth dough. Divide dough into 20-25 portions.
- Flatten each portion slightly. Put 2 teaspoons filling and seal up.
- Fold banana leaf in the shape of a cone, lightly press in the filled dough.
- Wrap up neatly and tuck in the ends.
- Place on a steaming tray. Steam over high heat foe 10-15 mins.
- Remove, allow Kueh Koci to cool and serve.