Steamed Indonesian cupcakes - Kuih Bahulu or sometimes called Kuih Balu.
Ingredients for Balu Kukus:
- 5 eggs
- 10 oz. (315g.) castor sugar
- 8 oz. (250g.) flour + 2 oz. (60g.) self-raising flour - (sifted together twice)
- 1 small bottle ice cream soda
- 2 oz. (60g.) brown sugar (break down lumps if any)
- Beat eggs and sugar till very thick and creamy
- Fold in the flour and add ice cream soda, a little at a time.
- Stir in the brown sugar till dissolved.
- Bring water to boil in steamer.
- Place small porcelain cups in it for 3 mins. Remove and oil cups, return to steamer again and steam for 2 mins.
- Fill cups with mixture but only 2/3 full.
- Cover steamer and steam for 7-10 mins. till well risen.
- Remove cakes from cups and cool slightly. Serve.