Recipe for Kuih Lapis. (Nyonya kuih lapis or Malay Kuih Lapis)
Ingredients for Kuih Lapis:
- 1 coconut (grated, white part only)
- 6 oz. (185g.) rice flour + 4 oz. (125g.) sago flour - (sifted)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- drops of red food colouring
- 9 oz. (280g.) coarse sugar
- 5 fl. oz. (150ml.) water
- 4 pandan leaves (tied into knot)
- Add enough water to grated coconut to squeeze 15 fl. oz. (450ml.) santan. Add salt. Strain.
- Add santan gradually to flour mixture. Blend into a smooth batter.
- Boil syrup ingredients over moderate heat till sugar dissolves, about 10 mins. Strain and add hot water, if necessary, to bring it to 7 1/2 fl. oz. (225 ml.).
- Pour hot syrup gradually into batter, Stir till well blended.
- Reserve 5 1/2 fl. oz. (165 ml.) of the batter to be coloured dark red for the top layer. Divide remaining batter into 2 portions. Colour 1 portion a pale red and leave the remaining one uncoloured.
- Bring water to boil in a steamer. Lightly grease a 7 in. x 2 in. (18 cm. x 5 c..) deep cake tin. Place in the steamer. Pour in a thin layer of uncoloured batter. Steam for 5-6 mins. till cooked. Pour in a thin layer of a red coloured batter. Cook the same way. Continue to cook till all the batter is used up.
- Use dark red portion for final layer.
- Cool cake for at least 7-8 hrs. before cutting.