Kuih Siput is crispy and an addictive snack shaped like sea shells. Great snack for Hari Raya, Chinese New Year or Deepavali.
Ingredients for Kuih Siput:
- 6 oz. (185g.) margarine
- 1 1/4 (625g.) flour (sifted with a pinch of salt)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 kuih siput mould
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tsp. aniseeds or aniseed powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 15 dried chillies (soaked) ot 1 Tbs. chilli powder
- 1/2 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2-in. (1-cm.) piece kunyit or 1/2 tsp. kunyit powder
- Rub margarine into flour with fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add eggs, pounded ingredients and water. Knead well into a soft dough.
- Use mould to shape into small 'siput' shapes.
- Heat oil and fry crisp and golden.
- Cool. Serve or store in airtight containers.