Malay traditional mini sponge cake Kuih Bahulu. Kuih Bahulu are usually baked during the festive seasons like Hari Raya and Chinese New Year. Steps on how to make the perfect Kuih Bahulu.
Ingredients for Kuih Bahulu/Baulu:
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz. (125g.) sugar (put in the sun for a while)
- 4 oz. (125g.) self-raising flour + pinch of salt + 2 tsp. rice flour - (sifted together)
- Whisk eggs till frothy. Add sugar and continue whisking till thick.
- Gently fold in flour, a little at a time, to get a smooth mixture.
- Using charcoal fire, heat and grease a kuih bahulu mold.
- Spoon mixture into mould 3/4 full and then cover with lid. Cook till well risen and kuih bahulu is golden top and bottom.
- Remove cooked kuih bahulu. Repeat process till all mixture is used up.
- Cool. Serve or store in airtight containers.