Recipe for Javanese kueh - Getuk Ubi, made with steamed or boiled tapioca, orange sugar, salt and grated coconut. Getuk-Getuk should be served while hot.
Ingredients for Getuk-Getuk:
- 1 kg Tapioca (peeled & washed)
- 1 cup brown or orange sugar
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz. (250g.) coconut (grated, white part only) + 1 tsp. salt - (mixed)
- Peel and wash the tapioca and cut into chunks. Steam for at least 25 - 30 mins. to cook. Steaming will “loosen” the tapioca and give you a better mash.
- Steam until the tapioca are soft enough to be poked with a knife. The knife should pierce the heart of each piece easily without force.
- Break each piece of tapioca chunk into two, removing the fibers in the centre. Break up roughly with a fork.
- Add in the brown or orange sugar & salt. Mix well until all turned to orange colour. Press the mixture into a square, lightly greased baking tin. Cut into desired shapes.
- Combine the salt and grated coconut together. Steam the grated coconut on high heat for 5 minutes. This process keeps the coconut fresh longer.
- Serve while hot.