Kuih Keria made with sweet potatoes, wheat flour, water and sugar.
Ingredients for Kuih Keria:
For Sweet Potato Dough:
- 300 g. / 10 oz. sweet potatoes with yellow flesh
- 2 dsp or more wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 large bowl oil for deep frying
To Make Dough:
- Scrub and wash sweet potatoes.
- Boil sweet potatoes in their jackets for 20-30 mins. till cooked.
- Remove potato skin. Mash potatoes till fine.
- Sift enough flour onto mashed potatoes. Mix into a pliable dough that does not stick to fingers. If dough is too dry, add a little water.
- Shape dough into a sausage roll of about 4 cm. / 1 1/2 " in diameter.
- Divide dough into 8-10 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth, flat round piece of about 2 cm. / 3/4" thick.
- Make a hole in the centre of the flat round piece like a doughnut. Smoothen the surface.
- Repeat till all the pieces are done.
- Heat oil.
- Deep fry the sweet potato doughnuts till golden brown. Drain well.
- Drain oil from frying pan / wok.
- Put in sugar and water. Allow to boil till sugar dissolves to get a very thick syrup. Lower fire.
- Put in the doughnuts and toss lightly so that they are well-coated with the thick syrup. Continue to stir until syrup crystalises.
- Cool dough befoe serving.