Recipe for Kuih Apam. Made with egg, castor sugar, vanilla essence, wheat flour, ice cream soda and colouring.
Ingredients for Kuih Apam (Steamed Small Cup Sponge):
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 90g / 3 oz. castor sugar
- 90g / 3 oz. wheat flour (tepung gandum)
- 70 ml / 1/8 ice cream soda
- Line patty tin with cake cups.
- Sift flour.
- Whisk egg till fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla essence. Whisk till thick and fluffy.
- Sift in flour, half quantity at a time and fold in evenly with a metal spoon.
- Divide mixture into 3 portions.
- Add colouring and 1/3 ice cream soda to one portion of mixture. Fold in evenly.
- Fold in remaining ice cream soda into remaining 2 portions.
- Fill plain mixture into cups till 2/3 full.
- Add coloured mixture on top till nearly full.
- Steam sponge for 15 mins till cooked, risen and cracked on surface.
- Remove from steamer. Leave for two mins before cooling on rack.