Basic recipe for Agar-Agar. Method and variations using Agar-Agar.
Basic Recipe for Agar-Agar:
- 7.5 g. agar-agar
- 90 g. sugar or to taste
- 420 ml water
- 2 screwpine leaves (pandan leaves) knotted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essense
- Wash and soak agar for 10 mins. Strain.
- Boil agar in water using low fire till all the agar has dissolved.
- Do not cover pot until agar begins to boil.
- Add sugar and screwpine leaves and boil sugar has dissolved.
- Strain agar with muslin cloth. Add vanilla essence and colouring. Mix well.
- Pour into rinsed moulds. Cool.
- Serve when agar has set.
- Lime Agar - Add lime juice to taste. Use green colouring and lemon essence.
- Mixed fruit Agar - The following fruits can be added: 2 bananas; 1 piece pineapple; 1 piece papaya. Dice fruits and put into the rinsed moulds. Strain agar into the mould with fruits and leave to set.
- Pineapple Agar - Follow method in Mixed Fruits Agar but use stewed pineapple in place of mixed fruits.