Recipe for Lipat Bugis. Kueh Bugis made with water, gula melaka, grated white coconut, salt and pulut flour (glutinous rice flour). Compare features of this huge collections of major brands food steamers.
Ingredients for Lipat Bugis:
- 1/2 cup water
- 250g. gula melaka (crushed)
- 1 1/2 grated white coconut
- pinch of salt
- 500g. pulut flour
- some banana leaves (scalded & cut into 8 x 6 in. / 20 x 15cm. pieces)
- toothpicks or wooden skewers
- To prepare filling. Stir water, gula melaka and 1/2 grated coconut over low heat till sugar dissolves and mixture thickens. Set aside.
- Squeeze santan from the other 1 grated coconut. Put 1/2 santan aside.
- Warm the other 1/2 santan (do not allow to boil) and salt over low heat for a short while.
- Pour it into pulut flour and knead to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into small balls the size of marbles.
- Make a hole with fingers in each ball, put in some filling and seal up.
- Place one ball on each piece of banana leaf. Add 1-2 tbsp santan to it. Fold up to make a neat parcel and secure with toothpicks or wooden skewers.
- Steam Lipat Bugis 15-20 mins. till cooked. Cool and serve.
Recipe Submitted by Reena