Recipe for Harum Manis. Harum Manis kueh made with gula Melaka, eggs, sugar, wheat flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and vanilla essence.
Ingredients for Harum Manis:
- 300g. gula Melaka (palm Sugar)
- 350ml. water
- 3 eggs
- 200g. granulated sugar
- 350g. wheat flour
- Sifted together - 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 50g. butter - melted
- 8-9 pisang raja (riped bananas, sliced)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine gula Melaka and water to dissolve the sugar completely. Sieve the syrup into a large heat-resistant bowl or pot.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and granulated sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Gently fold in flour a little at a time into the egg-sugar mixture to get a thick, sticky dough-like mixture.
- Add in vanilla essence, melted butter and palm sugar syrup. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased moulds or cups about 1/2 full. Top with the sliced pisang raja.
- Cover steamer and steam for 15-20 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. (Do not open the steamer before the time is up or the cake will collapse. This applies to all steamed cakes).
- Leave it to cool before removing from the moulds.