Talbin Cake. Fruity sponge cake made with currants and cherries. Great cakes for Christmas, Hari Raya, Chinese New Year and Deepavali.
Ingredients For Talbin Cake:
- 250g margarine
- 250g castor sugar
- 4 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
- 250g flour
- 2 tbsp currants - chopped (dusted with a little flour)
- 5 glace cherries - chopped (dusted with a little flour)
- Beat margarine and sugar till creamy and light.
- Lightly beat egg yolks and mix well with creamed mixture.
- Whisk egg whites before adding to the mixture.
- Fold in flour and mix well.
- In a greased and lined cake tin, pour a layer of cake mixture and sprinkle some chopped fruits over. Repeat till mixture and chopped fruits are used up.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F till cake is cooked. Test with a skewer.
- Remove from oven, cool and turn out the tin. Serve in slices.