Recipe for Nyonya Kueh - Steamed Yam Cake. Steamed Yam Cake made with rice flour, yam, five spice powder, dried shrimps and alkali water.
Ingredients for Steamed Yam Cake
- 180g dry rice flour (tepung beras)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 560ml water
- 1/2 tsp alkali water
- 300g yam (keladi)
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder - optional
- 2 tbsp dried shrimps (udang kering)
- 8 tbsp oil
- slake lime (kapur)
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 2 red chillies seeded, finely chopped or finely sliced
- 8 shallots - fried
- pyrex disg or a steamer tray 15cm in diameter and 5cm high
- Sift together rice flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre. Pour in 280ml water. Mix well. If too thick add more liquid. Beat mixture till smooth.
- Add another 280ml water and mix well. Allow to stand for 20-30 minutes.
- Soak, strain and chop finely dried shrimps. Dice yam into 1 1/2 cubes. Slice shallots crosswise.
- Heat oil. Fry shallots till golden brown. Dish out.
- Saute dried shrimps till you get nice aroma. Add yam cubes and five spice-powder (if used). Fry for two minutes.
- Heat tray in steamer.
- Mix batter with slake lime.
- Add fried yam mixture into batter. Mix well.
- Pour in the batter mixture onto the steaming tray when it is heated up.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes until cooked.
- Immediately garnish with finely chopped chillies, spring onions and fried shallots that have been mixed together.
- Thoroughly cool cooked yam cake before cutting into suitable pieces for serving.
- Serve with chilli sauce.
Imade Credit - RinaJun